Another Sunday, another stash-breaker! This time I am making a bias-cut, bow-front blouse to go under a black suit jacket. I have this funky turquoise and black patterned print that has been lurking for a while and it is time to bring it to life.

My first step was to take an existing tank top pattern and create a full size version so I could lay it out on the bias.


I did the back first, and cut it out of some leftover fabric from another project with a similar fabric content so I could pin it on my dress form. I needed to lengthen it and give a bit of extra ease on the side seams because bias garments mold to the body and need more fabric, not less, to accommodate the downwards stretch. Then I did the front, and as I was prepping the pattern tissue I remembered that the existing tank top had a rather awkward fit around the armholes and bust, so I sliced the pattern above the side seam and put in an extra 3/4″. (There will be a picture of that soon).

Fast-forward — I didn’t get around to taking the rest of the pictures of this project while it was in progress, but I’m delighted with the finished product. It fits quite well (it’s a wee bit short at the side seams but still wearable and it fits perfectly everywhere else) and is so comfortable to wear. Here is the completed work:



I’ve created another with another graphic print that was in the stash, only I had less of that fabric so I had to make the collar more of just a tie instead of a full bow. If I was going to create a pattern to sell online, this would be my first product. It’s awesome.

By suelow

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *